module and plugin to add google adsense to joomla based websites

Boxing News in Brief - 5th January

Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

alt

 

Boxing News in Brief – Wednesday 5th January, for: Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson, Odlanier Solis, Klitschko Management Group, Antov Novikov and Aslanbek Kozaev, Saul Alvarez vs. Vyacheslav Senchenko, Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye, Golden Boy joins BPA, Jurgen Brähmer, Cristobal Arreola, SHOBOX

 

  • Former heavyweight title challenger Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson (23-1-1, 10 KOs) will fight on the January 22 PPV event featuring Evander Holyfield against Sherman Williams. Johnson states that bouts against Cedric Boswell, Oliver McCall and Chauncy Welliver failed to materialize. “Let me make something clear, this show is about redemption and I am about redemption,” said Johnson. “I plan to earn my way back to a world title shot, and it starts with this show.”

 

  • Unbeaten WBC mandatory challenger Odlanier Solis (17-0, 12 KO’s) is not happy with the way that negotiations are going with World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (41-2, 38 KO’s), “The offer we got from the Klitschko side are not what we have been expecting. In addition they don’t want to comply to any of our requests. We have made a counter offer but so far they didn’t respond to that. So I guess we’ll have to go to purse bid”, says Solis’ promoter Ahmet Oner.

 

  • Klitschko’s respond - Bernd Bönte, Managing Director of the Klitschko Management Group GmbH has responded to statements released earlier today by the Odlanier Solis Camp regarding negotiations for WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko’s mandatory defense against Solis. “I can tell you that the only issue Öner has in the negotiations so far are tax issues,” stated Bönte. - “Regarding the matchmaking of the fight between Luan Krasniqi and Jonathon Banks, I can only answer that Jonathon is #6 of the WBC ranking and has so far only lost to Tomasz Adamek. And Luan is a former European champion and has fought for the world title against Brewster. - “I also don’t know how Öner rates his own matchmaking for Felix Sturm. Sturm’s next title challenger is Ronald Hearns who has never fought anybody and is not even ranked up until today. Hearns is #58 of the independent ranking!”

 

  • Antov Novikov and Aslanbek Kozaev -- Sensational undefeated Russian prospects Antov Novikov and Aslanbek Kozaev have been added to WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 15 on Friday, January 28th at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion, it was announced today by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions.  - Now based in Chicago, both Novikov and Kozaev will be returning to battle following their triumphant victories at the UIC Pavilion this past September in which they each made their North American debuts.

 

  • Saul Alvarez vs. Vyacheslav Senchenko ?-- The proposed bout between unbeaten welterweight/junior middleweight contender Saul Alvarez (35-0-1, 26 KO’s) and unbeaten World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight champion Vyacheslav Senchenko (31-0, 20 KO’s) looks like it won’t be taking place. Fightnews is reporting that the negotiations aren’t working out between the two fighters.

 

  • Wladimir Klitschko and David Haye’s fight may finally get underway this summer. Various news sources are reporting that negotiations for the unification clash are going as well as could be hoped for, and fight news.com and The LA Times are even suggesting the month fight may take place on. - Late spring or early summer look likely, The LA Times says, and they have quoted Golden Boys’ Richard Schaefer - “David wants the fight. We are working now on the date and the venue.”

 

  • Golden Boy joins BPA - Boxing promotional powerhouse Golden Boy Promotions has officially joined the Boxing Promoters Association. Golden Boy and the BPA will make it official at the organizations next upcoming meeting on January 10th at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas, NV. “I am excited to be joining the Boxing Promoters Association and look forward to work with all promoters to help grow the sport in a positive manner,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, whose company controls a large portion of the TV dates that smaller promoters allege they have been frozen out of.

 

  • WBO light heavyweight champion Jurgen Brähmer (36-2, 29 KOs) was forced to pull out of Saturday’s unification clash with WBA champion Beibut Shumenov (10-1, 5 KOs) in Shymkent, Kazakhstan due to an acute gastrointestinal illness. Brähmer and BDB President Thomas Pütz, another member of the five-person German delegation both fell ill. “A few hours after arrival in Shymkent, both came down with severe diarrhea with nausea and severe vomiting which lasted all night,” explained Dr. Michael Ehnert.

 

  • Heavyweight Cristobal Arreola (29-2, 25 KOs) is desperate to regain respect and acceptance as a legitimate contender for a world heavyweight title. However hard-hitting southpaw Joey “Minnesota Ice” Abell (27-4, 26 KOs) is planning to ruin Arreola’s plans on January 28 at the Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, California. “In my mind it’s a do or die fight for him and I expect that he will try and do more to get in shape for me,” said Abell, who will be taking a big step up in competition.

 

  • Friday night, Feb. 11, 2011, - In the SHOWTIME® main event of the evening on SHOBOX: The New Generation the undefeated WBA #1 Jr. Featherweight World contender, Rico “Suavecito” Ramos (18-0, 10 KOs), of Los Angeles, will look to take his next step toward a World Championship challenge in a scheduled 10-round contest against tough IBF #15 ranked, former world title challenger Alejandro Valdez (23-4-3, 17 KOs), of Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, Mexico. The telecast will air live at a special time of 11:30 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).