Posts Tagged ‘Cleverly’
Boxing News in Brief – May 20 – for: Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins, Cleverly to fight Kuziemski, Omar Narvaez to Defend his WBO Title, Paul Williams In Search of New Opponent, Macklin – Sturm, Flores stops Campos, Green–Tarver presser, Lovemore N’dou says: I’m The Master, Who is Kell Brook?
- Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins
With American and Canadian media in attendance, Bernard “The Executioner” Hopkins hosted a media workout today at a local boxing gym in Montreal, Canada where the 46-year-old Two-Division World Champion and Future Hall of Famer discussed his championship rematch against WBC and Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight World Champion Jean Pascal which takes place this Saturday, May 21 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. In a rare fight week occurrence, Hopkins even stopped to pose and speak with several amateur fighters and fans stating “I promise you this will be the only time you see me on my knee.”
- Cleverly to fight Kuziemski
Nathan Cleverly will now make the first defence of his WBO World Light-Heavyweight title against Aleksy Kuziemski from Poland this Saturday at the 02 Arena in London. Liverpool’s Tony Bellew, who had stepped in this morning to replace Juergen Braehmer, has been beaten by the scales to make the pre-fight weight check today.
- Omar Narvaez to Defend his WBO Title
Argentinean fighter Omar Narvaez (34-0-2, 19KOs) will defend the super flyweight belt of the World Boxing Organization (WBO) on June 11 against an opponent to be determined. Narvaez will headline a card at the legendary Luna Park in Buenos Aireas, Argentina. Promotor Oswaldo Rivero announced the date. Narvaez returns for the first time since winning a tough decision over previously unbeaten Cesar Seda of Puerto Rico, which took place on April 15. “We are in talks with a few fighters who are in the WBO super flyweight rankings,” said Rivero. “We also looking at the possibility of having WBA and WBO flyweight champion, the undefeated Yesica Bopp, make a new defense.”
- Paul Williams In Search of New Opponent
Paul Williams needs a new opponent for his July 9th, HBO-televised comeback. As fans know, Japanese fighter Nobuhiro Ishida, fresh off his stunning upset of the unbeaten James Kirkland, was to have taken the July date with “The Punisher.” However, according to Dan Rafael, who has been given info by “multiple sources involved in the event,” HBO withdrew the initial approval they gave for the match-up; pulling the plug on Tuesday.
- Macklin – Sturm
Matthew Macklin surprised the German media when he came face to face with Felix Sturm at their press conference in Cologne ahead of their World title fight in the city on June 25th. Two times European Middleweight Champ Macklin made a big impression by addressing the assembled media in perfect German but he has promised that the charm offensive will be replaced with a far more aggressive offensive once he enters the ring at the 20,000 seater Lanxess Arena next month.
- Flores stops Campos
Featherweight Miguel Flores remained undefeated at (9-0, 6 KOs), after stopping Rolando Campos, (2-4, 1 KO), in the fifth round but not without a few heart-stopping moments at the latest Savarese Boxing Promotions fight night at the Houston Club. Flores, 18, immediately went to work with crisp combinations to the head and body from the outset, but just when it seemed he was comfortably in control, he ducked smack into a right uppercut that had him momentarily out on his feet. He instinctively grabbed and leaned on Campos, buying enough time to shake it off, get his legs back and regain control of the fight.
- Green–Tarver presser
The media tour for the July 20th IBO Cruiserweight fight between Australian champion Danny Green (31-3, 27 KOs) and American Antonio Tarver (28-6, 19 KOs) was in Perth, Western Australia . The event at the Belmont Racing Circuit saw both boxers exhibit respect for each other yet strong confidence that each would be victorious for their forthcoming fight at the Entertainment Centre, Sydney in eight weeks time. The former four time world champion Tarver was confident of causing an upset and stated, “I think they took this fight because I was 42 and thought I was too old. Let me tell you I am no Roy Jones and I have come to Australia with only one objective in mind and that is to win the IBO Cruiserweight title. I pride myself that I was the first fighter to knock out Roy Jones and I will be the first fighter to knock out Danny Green.”
- Lovemore N’dou says: I’m The Master, Who is Kell Brook?
By Phil D. Jay – Former world light-welterweight champion Lovemore N’dou has predicted a master teaching a pupil on June 25th when he and Kell Brook meet at the Hillsbrough Centre in Sheffield. The 39 year-old has a chequered record over the last four years and hopes to get back to winning ways against the former British champion. “The Black Panther” last fought in December, when out-pointed by the now 154lb world champion Saul Alvarez at a catchweight of 150lbs and has just three wins eight prior to that fight. He now meets WBO number two ranked welterweight Brook, 25, in his home city and has reacted to Brook’s prediction of a first knockout defeat for N’dou.
“I’m the master in the sport of boxing, many tried before and failed,” Ndou told sowetan.co.za.
“They talk of Brook as the next big thing from the UK but to be quite honest, I don’t know anything about him. I don’t even know of any big-name fighter he has fought before.
“The real reason I’m fighting this boy is because he is rated No 2 by the WBO. Victory will pave the way to fighting for the title, which is held by Manny Pacquiao,” added the veteran.
Yorkshireman Brook is undefeated in his 23 contests so far since turning professional in 2004 and will be N’dou’s third fight in Britain after the Aussie-based South African fought Paulie Malignaggi in 2008 and Matthew Hatton in 2009, losing one and drawing the other.The two fighters will contest the vacant WBA Inter-Continental title in what will be N’dou’s 63rd pro fight in an 18-year career that has seen him hold the IBO and IBF titles at the 147lb limit and take some of the best fighters in the division, including Kermit Cintron and Miguel Cotto the championship distance. Kell Brook v Lovemore N’dou is live on Sky Sports on Saturday June 25th.
Latest Boxing News in Brief – for: Pacquiao vs. Marquez, Shimoda to defend title in the U.S., Sugar Ray Leonard’s, Revealing Book, Braehmer-Cleverly off, Tenkai keeps WBA female belt, Hopkins-Pascal II This Saturday, ESPN’s Friday Night Fights, Fonfara- Russell, Gomez ready for Green, Klitschko vs. Haye Press Conference
- Pacquiao vs. Marquez
The November 12th match-up between 37-year-old Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao will be going ahead, as Golden Boy Promotions won’t be matching the offer made to Marquez by Top Rank. Bob Arum, the promoter for Top Rank, met with Marquez to get the details of the Pacquiao fight, which will be taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Golden Boy Promotions, the previous promoters for Marquez, had the right to match the $5 million offer made to Marquez by Top Rank plus the $10 million for a rematch.
- Shimoda to defend title in the U.S.
Teiken Promotions, announced on Monday that three of its boxers would be fighting in the US and Mexico. Newly crowned WBA super-bantam champ Akifumi Shimoda (23-2-1, 10 KOs) will risk his belt against unbeaten mandatory challenger Rico Ramos (19-0, 10 KOs) in Atlantic City, NJ, on July 9. Shimoda, a fast-punching southpaw, dethroned Ryol-li Lee by dropping him three times this January, and will make his initial defense there. Ex-OPBF super-light champ Motoki Sasaki (36-8-1, 23 KOs) will be challenging for the WBC lightweight throne against Humberto Soto (55-7-2-1NC, 32 KOs) in Mexico on June 25. Formerly two-time world champ Jorge Linares (30-1, 19 KOs), a Japan-based Venezuelan, will face Colombian Fancisco Cordero (24-1, 16 KOs) in Mexico on May 28.
- Sugar Ray Leonard’s Revealing Book
One of boxing’s most memorable warriors and all-time-greats, Sugar Ray Leonard, is releasing a book entitled “The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring” (Viking; 2011) in which he discusses a number of shocking revelations: alcohol and drug use, infidelity, domestic violence, and becoming a father by the age of seventeen. Among his more jaw dropping disclosures, that he was molested by a “prominent Olympic boxing coach” prior to the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal, where Leonard won the gold medal which helped launch his career.
- Braehmer-Cleverly off
WBO light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer will not be able to defend his title against interim titlist Nathan Cleverly on Saturday in London after a cut suffered in training reopened on Tuesday. Braehmer will not be traveling to London today as scheduled. Cleverly is still planning to fight an opponent a late substitute on Saturday night. Promoter Frank Warren is seeking to have the WBO strip Braehmer of the belt and have Cleverly elevated to full championship status. – This is the third straight fight Braehmer has pulled out of. First he pulled out of a July 2010 defense against Alejandro Lakatus in Schwein, Germany, citing a back injury. Then in January he pulled out of a title unification clash with WBA champ Beibut Shumenov in Kazakhstan after allegedly falling ill.
- Tenkai keeps WBA female belt
WBA female super-fly champ Tsunami Tenkai (18-3, 7 KOs), 114, looked so impressive as she made her fourth defense by lopsidedly battering Petchsairoong Lookisaikongdin (13-10), 112.25, of Thailand, dropped the challenger with a flurry of punches in the second session and finally stopped the Thailander at 1:25 of the third session in a scheduled ten-rounder on Tuesday in Tokyo, Japan.
- Hopkins-Pascal II This Saturday
This Saturday night in Canada, ageless wonder Bernard Hopkins goes for the ultimate: the chance to break fellow legend George Foreman’s record as the oldest man to win a world title. The rematch with local hero and Ring magazine and WBC king Jean Pascal has attracted the attention of many people; Britain’s Carl Froch being amongst the interested. I do think, though, that Hopkins will come up short on Saturday. He may well prove me wrong (not the first time by any stretch!), but I think Hopkins will lose quite widely on points this time” said Froch.
- ESPN’s Friday Night Fights and Main Events
ESPN’s Friday Night Fights presented by Corona Extra, will originate from Newark, N.J. May 20 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN2 when former junior middleweight world title challenger Joel “El Predador” Julio (36-4, 31 KO’s, WBC#33) and undefeated 2008 U.S. Olympian Sadam “The World Kid” Ali (12-0, 7 KO’s) are featured in co-main events. Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas will be ringside at the Amerihealth Pavilion describing the action. The card is presented by Main Events.
- Fonfara- Russell
Chicago’s Polish Prince Andrzej Fonfara (17-2-1, 8 KOs) faces Anthony Russell on Friday in the ten round main event at Windy City Fight Night 17 at Chicago’s UIC Pavilion. The fight will be for the vacant WBO/NABO light heavyweight belt. The card is presented by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions.
- Gomez ready for Green
Welterweight contender Alfonso Gomez (22-4-2, 11 KOs) of Anaheim, California by way of Mexico, finished preparations, under the guidance of his father Alfonso Gomez Sr., at the Azteca Boxing Club in Bell, California, for his upcoming fight that takes place this Saturday May 21st at the Morongo Casino Resort and Spa in Cabazon, California. Gomez will headline and take on Calvin Green (21-5-1, 13 KOs) of Baytown, Texas on the latest edition of ‘Top Rank Live’ on FOX Deportes in a 10-round welterweight bout which is being presented by Top Rank.
Klitschko vs. Haye Press Conference and Interview Video
NATHAN CLEVERLY will now not fight Germany’s Juergen Braehmer on Saturday (May 21). The WBO light-heavyweight champion did not arrive in London last night as scheduled and it has been confirmed that the German is out of the ‘world’ title fight.
Frank Warren was fuming by the German’s no show but, because of Braehmer’s track record, had insisted that if the German did not travel he would lose the title, so now Cleverly is the new WBO light-heavyweight champion.
The promoter sent a driver to pick Juergen up from the airport on Tuesday night but he was not on the flight. He was assured Braehmer would travel this morning (Wednesday) and again sent a driver. Once more, Braehmer was a no show. Then Warren received a call that he was out due to a cut that had reopened.
Warren had not been informed of any cut in the first instance. “We were told a cut opened up, but when was that, on the way to the airport?” he asked.
Warren said the show will still go ahead on Sky Box Office but denied Liverpool puncher Tony Bellew would get the first crack at Cleverly. “I would but I can’t,” said Warren, indicating that Bellew might not be close enough to make the weight safely. “Tony would do it but it wouldn’t be the right thing to do by him.” Bellew, who’s not due to fight until July 16, is currently about a stone too heavy. “If I was on the May 21 card I’m sure I would have just been drafted in. But he’s my manager, he’s my promoter, I trust Frank 100%,” reflected Tony.
“I’m far off the weight but anything’s possible. If someone comes to me with a silly offer, I’m going out right now in a sweat suit and I’m doing the weight. This is the reason why I stay in the gym.”
Instead, there are a couple of fighters from mainland Europe who could get the call.
But it will be tough on Cleverly who has been training so hard and preparing for a southpaw.
Cleverly was distraught. “If that’s the case I’m pissed off,” he said moments ago after arriving in London for a public workout.
“Once again it was the fight I want and that I’ve been preparing for and I’ve been really switched on for this. I just can’t understand it. This was my dream opportunity.”
Being the new champion has not made him any happier. “Nothing like that has sunk in so it’s hard to comment,” he said. “I’m just gutted but I just feel I’ve got a job to do still and I’m ready to fight and I will celebrate becoming champion after Saturday night.”
The German now has a track record of late withdrawals from his title fights. He was in Kazakhstan to fight Beibut Shumenov earlier this year but pulled out of the fight with a stomach ailment.
Saturday’s show still has the potentially enthralling British title fight between longtime rivals James DeGale and George Groves.
The change is of course a surprise to Sky as well. The network was set to screen a ‘Behind the Ropes’ special on Cleverly and Braehmer, although the programme on Groves and DeGale can still be broadcast on Thursday.
Source Boxing News
WBO light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer will not be able to defend his title against interim titlist Nathan Cleverly on Saturday in London after a cut suffered in training reopened on Tuesday. Braehmer will not be travelling to London today as scheduled.
Cleverly is still planning to fight an opponent a late substitute on Saturday night. Promoter Frank Warren is seeking to have the WBO strip Braehmer of the belt and have Cleverly elevated to full championship status.
This is the third straight fight Braehmer has pulled out of. First he pulled out of a July 2010 defense against Alejandro Lakatus in Schwein, Germany, citing a back injury. Then in January he pulled out of a title unification clash with WBA champ Beibut Shumenov in Kazakhstan after allegedly falling ill.