Posts Tagged ‘Antonio Margarito’
Latest Boxing News in Brief – Friday 14, October – for: Kimbo Slice, aka Kevin Ferguson, Paulie Malignaggi, Dewey Bozella, Mikkel Kessler forced to postpone, Airtight Boxing Promotions,Antonio Margarito and Fury vs. Pajkic
- Kimbo Slice, aka Kevin Ferguson, will return to the ring when he takes on Omaha native and newcomer Tay Bledsoe (2-3, 2 KOs) in a 4 round heavyweight bout on Saturday night at the Heartland Event Center in Grand Island, Nebraska. The well-known and popular internet street–fighting sensation and former MMA combatant will be making his second appearance in the boxing ring. Kimbo is coached by renowned trainer John David Jackson and co-promoted by Gary Shaw and Tony Holden.
- Former IBF light welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi is picking IBF/WBA light heavyweight champion Amir Khan (26-1, 18 KO’s) to beat challenger Lamont Peterson (29-1-1, 15 KO’s) on December 10th at the Convention Center, Washington, DC. – Malignaggi said this to esnewsreporting.com “I favor Amir [to beat Peterson]. Amir’s a tough style to win rounds against. He knows what he’s doing; he knows how to win rounds, especially the first time you see him. I think he beats Peterson.”
- Dewey Bozella will fight on the undercard of Hopkins vs Dawson this weekend on HBO PPV. – Bozella is a man who never gave up in what he believed. He spent 26 years in a New York State prison for murder he didn’t commit. – He was exonerated two years ago, and on October 15th, he makes his PRO debut on the undercard at Staples Center in Los Angeles. What’s more, Dewey is 52 years old. esnewsreporting.com reports
- Mikkel Kessler forced to postpone – Sauerland Event announced that super middleweight contender Mikkel Kessler has been forced to postpone his scheduled November 5 fight WBO titlist Robert Stieglitz due to a hand injury suffered in training camp. “This is a major disappointment for me,” Kessler said. “We´ve had a great preparation and I was in fantastic shape when I injured my right hand during a routine training session. The doctors advised me that it needs a rest and I can´t fight on November 5. I am very sorry to keep my fans waiting. The good news is that the injury should heal quickly after a little break. I will rest my hand and then get back to training to be fit for Stieglitz early next year.”
- Airtight Boxing Promotions - returns tonight at the Red and Jerry’s Sports Complex in Sheridan, Colorado. Cameron Dunkin-managed fighter and undefeated prospect Raul “El Chino” Carrillo (8-0, 6 KOs) will headline the main event against rugged Tyler Pogline (5-8, 4 KOs) in a scheduled six round welterweight bout. In the co-main event, Denver native and world ranked Robert “Red Hot” Frankel (28-11, 5 KOs) squares off against late replacement Carlos Sanchez (5-2, 2 KOs) in a scheduled six round light middleweight clash. Also, popular and female boxing sensation, Madeline Ortega (3-1, 1 KO) returns against TBA in a scheduled four round female flyweight bout.
- Former three time world champion, - Antonio Margarito opened up camp last week in Temoaya, Mexico. The city of Temoaya offers both the solitude, as well as the altitude that Antonio believes he needs for his December 3rd, bout against Miguel Cotto. Antonio is currently doing a morning run at the Otomi Ceremonial Center and training in the afternoon at The Temoaya Municipial Gym.
- Fury vs. Pajkic – A bitter, ongoing feud for the past year promises to finally erupt November 12 when a pair of 16-0 heavyweights, massive Tyson Fury and menacing Neven “No Surrender” Pajkic, put their perfect records on the line, as well as their immense pride, in a 12-round take-no-prisoners title fight at EventCity, Trafford Park (next to Trafford Centre) in Manchester, England. It will mark Fury’s first pro fight in his birthplace of Manchester.
Boxing News in Brief – Monday 16th May – for: Antonio Margarito, Prince Arron, Cleverly ready for Braehmer, Froch-Johnson, Cotto vs Chavez Jr. possible, Mijares outpoints Rueda, Paul Williams vs. Nobuhiro Ishida
- Antonio Margarito
It seems the 12-round beating he took at the hands of Manny Pacquiao was far worse than it looked for Antonio Margarito he not only suffered a broken orbital socket in the November 2010 fight, but also a detached retina. A detached retina has ended many a great career in boxing. The 33-year-old Mexican warrior was looking ahead to a clash with Miguel Cotto, in what would have been a rematch of the “Tijuana Tornado’s” 2008 stoppage win over the Puerto Rican.
- Prince Arron
Friday the 13th was a lucky one for British fight fans as they were treated to an enthralling encounter which saw Kent’s Sam Webb lose his British light middleweight title to the rangy Prince Arron from Droyslden in what was a punishing battle. Momentum swayed in favor of both fighters, culminating in a twelve round stoppage win for Arron with Webb being stopped on his feet after absorbing an overwhelming amount of punishment in the second half of the fight.
- Cleverly ready for Braehmer
Welsh ace WBO interim titleholder Nathan Cleverly says his fight with WBO light heavyweight champion Juergen Braehmer on Saturday night is his “defining moment.” The unbeaten Cleverly meets the dangerous German at The 02 in London. “Ricky Hatton fought Kostya Tyszu, Joe Calzaghe beat Jeff Lacy, this is a similar kind of fight,” said Cleverly. “My whole career has been building towards this moment, and I’m ready to take it with both hands…I’m so fired up for this fight and I believe that it’s my time. I was ringside for Calzaghe-Lacy. It was an evening when Joe made the world sit up and take notice of him. I’ll do the same against Braehmer.”
On June 4th, the next opponent for WBA super middleweight champion Andre Ward (24-0, 13 KO’s) will finally be known when WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch (27-1, 20 KO’s) faces 42-year-old Glen Johnson (51-14-2, 35 KO’s) in their Super Six tournament semifinals bout at the Boardwalk Hall, in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Cotto vs Chavez Jr. possible
By Rey Colón – WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto could be seeking a world title in a fourth weight division in October provided that Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. beats WBC middleweight champion Sebsatian Zbik on June 4 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The Cotto-Chavez fight would be made at a catch weight of 155 pounds, which is the formula that Manny Pacquiao has used, even against Cotto when they met a couple of years ago.
- Mijares outpoints Rueda
IBF super flyweight champion Cristian Mijares (42-6-2, 18 KOs) scored a one-sided twelve round unanimous decision over a game Carlos Rueda (16-5-1, 13 KOs) on Saturday night at the Palenque de la Feria Nacional in Durango, Mexico. Mijares was in command all the way, winning 120-108, 120-108 and 118 to 110.
- Paul Williams vs. Nobuhiro Ishida
Former IBF welterweight champion Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KO’s) will be facing junior middleweight contender Nobuhiro Ishida (23-6-2, 8 KO’s) on July 9th on HBO. The fight will be the main event.
Martinez vs Dzinziruk
This Saturday night on HBO, world middleweight champion Sergio Martinez takes to the ring for the second defense of his lineal crown, facing unbeaten junior middleweight Sergiy Dzinziruk. It may not be the high-profile main event that many would have wanted to see Martinez take right now, coming off of a pair of great 2010 wins, but don’t kid yourself into thinking this is some pushover fight for the champ. He’s in against a legitimate opponent who is skilled and has nothing to lose, a dangerous combination.
Martinez (46-2-2, 25 KO) shot up pound-for-pound lists last year when he defeated reigning 160-pound champ Kelly Pavlik in April and crushed rival Paul Williams inside of two rounds in November. Both fights were tall orders. Martinez, at 5’10″, is really a junior middleweight himself. He fought for years at 154 pounds after starting his professional career in 1997 as a welterweight. Fighting in the rings of Argentina and later in Europe, Martinez lost just one fight in the formative years of his boxing career, against Antonio Margarito in 2000. Martinez was just 17 fights into his career going into the Margarito fight, and was stopped late in the seventh round in Las Vegas. Shortly after, he’d leave the welterweight division behind.
Dzinziruk (37-0, 34 KOs), 34, has held the WBO 154 lb. title since 2005 when he decisioned Daniel Santos in his adopted home of Germany. Since then, the native of Ukraine has defended his title successfully six times, including his last bout which served as both his American debut and debut under the joint promotional banner of Gary Shaw Productions and Banner Promotions. In that bout, on May 14, 2010, in Santa Ynez, California, Dzinziruk systematically broke down Daniel Dawson en route to a tenth round stoppage.
In the co-feature attraction, two of Western Europe’s best, and most exciting pugilists, Andy Lee of Ireland and Scotland’s Craig McEwan do battle in a ten round “Celtic War” in the middleweight division.
Lee (24-1, 18 KOs), 26, is riding a nine fight winning streak since his lone career setback: a loss to Bryan Vera in 2008. Since then, the Emmanuel Steward-trained Irish slugger has compiled some of the best wins of his career over the likes of experienced veterans James Cook, Willie Gibbs, Michael Walker, and former world title challenger Mamadou Thiam. Lee is ranked #5 by the WBA and #14 by the WBC.
McEwan (19-0, 10 KOs), 28, was born and raised in Edinburgh, Scotland, but now lives in California where he trains with the world renowned Freddie Roach. McEwan is coming off the biggest win of his career on July 23, 2010, when he took a decision from former world title challenger Danny Perez. McEwan also holds a victory over Bryan Vera, the man who handed Lee his lone defeat. McEwan is ranked #12 by the WBO.
Saturday 12 March – Foxwoods Resort Casino, Mashantucket, Connecticut, United States
Television: United States HBO Hungary Sport 1 United States Dish Network
Middleweight – Sergio Gabriel Martinez vs Serhiy Dzinziruk
Middleweight – Andy Lee vs Craig McEwan
Featherweight – Javier Fortuna vs Derrick Wilson – Vacant WBC Youth World featherweight title
Light middleweight – Demetrius Andrade vs Jhon Berrio
Heavyweight – Sonya Lamonakis vs Tanzee Daniel
Welterweight – Thomas Dulorme vs Guillermo Valdes
Light heavyweight – Seanie Monaghan vs Billy Cunningham
Welterweight – Abraham Lopez vs Andrew Jones
ESPN has reported that it is official: Manny “Pac-Man” Pacquiao will be facing “Sugar” Shane Mosley in his next bout on May 7th. This is the same Mosley who went to Roach’s Wild Card Gym two years ago when he was ranked as the #1 welterweight and #3 on the pound for pound list and begged for a fight with Pacquiao. At the time Roach told Insidefights.com “I told him ‘no’ both times for the same two reasons: First there isn’t enough money there and second you’re too good a fighter.” Mosley’s previous fight before this entreaty to land a Pacquiao fight was a superb knockout victory over Antonio Margarito.
Latest Boxing News – Wednesday 17th November, 2010 for: Wladimir Klitschko, David Haye, Matthew Hatton, Roberto Belge, Antonio Margarito, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez, Jarvis Astaire, Derek Chisora, Paul Williams
- Wladimir Klitschko had a few choice words of his his own about David Haye. “I watched the fight and they were scared chickens for three rounds,” Klitschko told the Daily Mail. “It was not even as good as a British championship fight; it was more like a street fight. It reminded me of the fight with [Nikolai] Valuev, when Haye also ran around and ran around like a scared chicken, trying to get up speed and hopefully land something. — “He talks about what an exciting fighter he is but even if we do a agree a fight I’m not sure he would even turn up. I’m talking from a fan’s perspective – not as someone who is going to beat the sh*t out of him.” — “I’m getting tired of the nonsense and the lie from his side that the contract is not right,” he said.”He promised to fight us once, then he promised Chelsea stadium. People forget that. We supposed to fight in June but he couldn’t deliver anything,” Klitschko said. — “David Haye needs us. He built his reputation on our names. To say he was going to cut our heads off was outside any sporting or human decency. No matter who you are. We’ll see whose head and balls are cut off when he gets in the ring.”
- Matthew Hatton, will prove he is a world class fighter — European welterweight champion Matthew Hatton says he will prove he is a world class fighter next week. Matthew makes the second defense of his Euro belt when he faces undefeated Swiss star Roberto Belge at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium on November 26. Hatton, 29, is on an eight fight unbeaten run and insists: “I do think I am world class, but I have to show that against Belge. Since I beat Ben Tackie two years ago I have had some really good wins and believe I have been fighting at world class. If I am world class I have to go in there do a number on Belge and show I belong there. That is what I am aiming to do. I want to fight the best out there and I do believe I am ready for a world title fight now.”
- Margarito has successful Surgery — “So when can I start running?” asked Antonio Margarito moments following succesful surgery today to repair a fractured right orbital bone at Methodist Hospital in Dallas, Texas. Sergio Diaz, manager of Margarito, said “the doctor told us everything went perfect – no complications of any kind. There is nothing wrong with his right eye. – “Antonio is such a warrior. The first thing he asked was ‘when can I start running’ and we told him he has to relax for awhile,” Diaz said. “For sure, at least 60 days of no contact of any kind in a gym.” — Margarito said “I fought as hard as I could against a great champion in Manny Pacquiao.” — Margarito will stay at Methodist Hospital this evening. He is with his wife Michelle, managers Sergio Diaz, Fransico Espinoza and chief trainer Robert Garcia. Margarito and his team will take a flight to Los Angeles today Wednesday.
- Alex Ariza, the strength and conditioning coach for Manny Pacquiao, really likes Juan Manuel Marquez and sees him as a tough opponent for Manny Pacquiao. A fighter that Ariza doesn’t seem interested in seeing fight Pacquiao is 39-year-old Shane Mosley. In an article at philstar.com, Ariza says “Mosley? He’ll be tired after 15 minutes so what’s the point of that fight? Manny knocks him out and probably Manny won’t even train for that fight. That guy is a quitter. He quit against [Floyd] Mayweather in three rounds. What do you think he’s gonna do when Manny starts to let loose his hands five or 15 seconds after the bell rings?”
- Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams on Saturday night — Paul Williams (39-1, 27 KO’s) and WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (45-2-2, 24 KO’s) will be facing each other in a rematch on Saturday night at the Boardwalk Hall, in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- British and Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion Derek Chisora has hit back at claims made yesterday by Jarvis Astaire about his right to fight Wladimir Klitschko. — The David Haye-Audley Harrison farce prompted former boxing promoter Astaire – who has not been actively involved in the sport since the late 90s – to question Chisora’s validity to challenge the WBO/IBF World Heavyweight champion — Astaire said: “not only is Chisora a comparative novice, but he is four inches shorter than Wladimir.”