Archive for the ‘UK Boxing News’ Category
ZHAKIYANOV LOOKS TO SHOW OFF NEW SKILLS IN BELFAST
Photo Credit: Mark Robinson/Hatton Promotions
ZHANAT ZHAKIYANOV says he’ll be showing off some new skills when he returns to action at the Holiday Inn in Belfast on June 28.
The Kazakhstani puncher began working under the stewardship of trainer Ricky Hatton just a month ago, but he believes his ability has moved to a new level in that short time.
Zhanat, who is the number one ranked super-bantamweight contender in Europe, had largely trained by himself or with family members in his native country.
“Ricky makes me think more in the ring,” the 25-year-old said via a translator. “Before I was like a bull and used to think one hard punch was enough, but Ricky makes me relax, move and defend better.
“I used to train with my brother or on my own in Kazakhstan and we never did any of the exercises I do now so I am learning new things every day.
“I hope to show everyone what I’ve picked up in this next fight and then move to bigger and harder fights later in the year.”
Zhanat has been signed to Hatton Promotions since 2011 and has appeared on cards in Blackpool and Hong Kong, but he still has trouble explaining his connection with ‘The Hitman’ to his fans back home.
“People in my country do not believe me when I tell them Ricky Hatton is training me,” he explained. “I have to show them pictures and videos to prove it and they are like ‘wow’.
“I know I am very lucky to be working with Ricky because in Kazakhstan and all of the former Soviet countries he is a hero. People admire him because of his career and because he beat Kostya Tszyu, who was also a hero.” Read the rest of this entry »
WELSH lightweight prospect Mitch Buckland is on a mission to win as many titles as he can.
The Cardiff southpaw, 19, has watched his older brother Gary win numerous belts in the past few years, but now he’s started a collection of his own.
Last weekend Mitch defeated Bridgewater’s tough Dean Mills to win the vacant British Masters bronze crown and he believes it will be the first of many.
“Winning a title was like a dream come true. You always imagine winning a belt growing up and when that day comes you can’t believe it,” he said.
“Before that fight I’d only boxed 14 rounds in total so it was great to jump straight up to eight rounds. The next step is ten rounds and then hopefully 12.
“I remember when Gary won his first title, it spurred him on more and he went on to win the Celtic and then the British title.
“Before my brother ever won any titles I used to look at British champions and think ‘god they’re so good, can I ever get to that level?’ Now, though, I’ve seen what it takes through watching Gary.
“I know that as long as you put the hours in at the gym and you keep learning, you can get there.
“Welsh boxing is going well at the minute. Nathan Cleverly is a world champion and, then there’s Gary and Gavin Rees and a few others winning things. It’d be lovely to have my name mentioned alongside those.”
A natural next step for Mitch would be a Welsh title clash with reigning champion Craig Woodruff.
However, Mitch defeated the Newport man in a four-rounder last year and it seems Woodruff isn’t keen on a return.
“We’ve been trying to get a fight with Craig Woodruff, but he doesn’t seem to want it,” Mitch explained.
“Obviously I want to win the Welsh title, but it seems we might have to go for the Celtic title instead. There’s also the possibility of Woodruff himself fighting for the Celtic and me boxing someone else for the vacant Welsh belt.
“Either way I’m going in the right direction and getting closer to where I want to be as boxer.”
BURNETT TO MAKE PRO BERTH IN LIVERPOOL
IRISH sensation Ryan Burnett will make his eagerly anticipated professional debut next month.
The 20-year-old from Belfast will box on a show held in association with Steve Wood’s VIP Promotions at the Olympia in Liverpool on May 24.
Burnett, who will fight at bantamweight, should have made his pro berth last year, but queries on his medical led to more than 12 months of inactivity.
During that time he stayed in the gym with trainer Ricky Hatton, and was given the green light to box by the British Boxing Board of Control in February.
“I can’t wait. I’ve been looking forward to this for 12 months and now it’s finally here. I’m counting down the minutes,” Ryan said.
“Now I’ve got a date it’s about getting my head down and putting in the hard work.
“Because of the time I’ve had to wait, I really want to make a big statement. But I know I can’t just go in there throwing bombs, I have to stay calm and listen to what Ricky tells me to do in the corner.
“I’ve had more than a year in the gym working on technique and now it’s time to show people how I’ve come on.”
Despite his debut being away from home, Burnett believes a small corner of the Emerald Isle will behind him when he steps into the ring.
He said: “Every day since I signed to go pro I’ve loads of people asking me when I’m fighting and how they can get tickets. I’m expecting at least 100 to 150 to fly over from Belfast for this fight.
“Liverpool has quite a large Irish population as well, so I hope some of them will hear about me boxing there and come out to support me.”
As an amateur, Ryan won 94 of 98 bouts, picking up seven All-Ireland titles, six Antrim titles, four Ulster titles and a gold medal at the Youth Olympics.
SHEFFIELD puncher Adam Etches believes his fan base is growing so rapidly, it won’t be long until he’s topping the bill on big arena shows.
“The Bomber” challenges for his first professional title on Saturday night (April 13) when faces tough Andrei Abramenka for the International Boxing Federation (IBF) youth middleweight crown.
Tickets for the show were in such hot demand that all 2,000 seats at Ponds Forge were sold with more than a month to go. And Etches believes the next step is a headline slot at Sheffield’s 12,000 capacity Motorpoint Arena.
“I’d like to think after a couple more of these type of shows, my fan base will have grown so much the Arena is the only place I can box at,” Etches, 22, said. “It’s all about building upwards, everyone enjoying it and me doing a good job in the ring. Afterwards everything will fall into place.
“That said, filling Ponds Forge is something in itself. I don’t think there’s many boxers at my sort of level who’d be able to do that.”
Abramenka represents a significant step up in class for the Yorkshireman.
The Belarusian stylist has won 18 of 22 contests and has gone the full 12 round distance with former European welterweight champion Matthew Hatton and highly rated Russian prospect Aslanbek Kozaev.
Etches said: “I’ve got to be on my game because Abramenka’s young, he’s hungry and he’s only lost twice on points after 20-odd fights. “I’ve watched clips of him on Youtube and I saw him when he boxed Matthew Hatton, but I tend not to look too much into it because it’ll be a different Abramenka when he fights me. “I’m expecting tough fight and I’m training like it’s for a full world title.”
Also in action on Saturday will be fellow unbeaten prospects Scott Jenkins, Atif Shafiq, Sam O’Maison, Kris Davey, Leigh Wood, Josh McLaren and Andy Keates.
Saturday night’s bill is promoted by Richard Poxon in support of the Weston Park Hospital Cancer Charity and Cavendish Cancer Care.
RICKY HATTON paid tribute to memory of Bobby Moore and joined the fight against cancer at a celebrity event in Manchester recently.
‘The Hitman’, along with Hatton Promotions stars Sergey Rabchenko and Scott Quigg, attended The Bobby Moore Fund Celebrity Sports Quiz at Lancashire County Cricket Club.
And while the evening was packed with fun events, it also raised more than £60,000 for the fund’s ‘More Tomorrows’ campaign.
“I was honoured to be invited as a guest of the Bobby Moore Fund,” Ricky said.
“It’s twenty years since the death of Bobby and it’s important to keep on researching and looking for a cure for cancer. The work the fund does is fantastic.
“I think it’s important as a boxer and a champion to do things outside of the ring as well as in it and I hope myself and my boxers can raise awareness for this cause and help the fight against cancer.”
The fund was set up by Stephanie Moore MBE in partnership with Cancer Research UK in memory of her husband, West Ham and England footballing legend Bobby Moore, who died from bowel cancer in 1993 aged just 51.
The ‘More Tomorrows’ campaign was launched in November 2012 to raise funds towards the construction of the new MCRC (Manchester Cancer Research Centre).
Due for completion in summer 2014, the £28.5 million centre will be one of the largest of its kind in Europe and is being funded by Cancer Research UK, The Christie and the University of Manchester.
Stephanie Moore said: “When we decided to roll out our flagship London fundraising event, the Celebrity Sports Quiz, in a new city in the UK, Manchester seemed the obvious choice.
“Vibrant, dynamic and arguably the sporting capital of the North, Manchester has also historically played a crucial role at the forefront of cancer research.
“For more than a century, scientists and doctors in Manchester have been pivotal in the advancement of cancer research and care around the world.
“With more pioneering research, Manchester can become a world leader in the fight against cancer, creating more tomorrows for more people.” Read the rest of this entry »