Archive for May, 2012
WBO EXPRESSES CONDOLENCES TO JOHNNY TAPIA’S FAMILY AND SHOWS SUPPORT TO PAUL WILLIAMS
World Boxing Organization (WBO) president, Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, expresses his condolences to the family of the former world champion Johnny Tapia after his death and shows support to former world champion Paul Williams, who had an accident last Sunday, that left him paralyzed from the waist down.
Tapia (59-5-2, 30 KOs) was a five time world champion, being WBO super flyweight and bantamweight king from 1994 to 2000. He was found dead last Sunday inside his home.
“We give our condolences to his family. We had become friends, with his wife Teresa too. He was a good person, but he had drug problems, and he was defeated himself in his life”, Valcarcel said. “We want, as part of our program “Kids Drug Free”, the youth to look in this mirror to avoid the mistakes Tapia made”.
About Williams (41-2, 27 KOs), who was a WBO welterweight and junior middleweight champion, Valcarcel said that “we are sorry for this accident. Williams is a great boxer and a good person. We want him to recover and back to his normal life. We are going to contact his manager to give them our support”.
Remember the 25th Annual Convention WBO Silver Jubilee and Election to be held at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino from October 22 to October 26, 2012. For reservations at the Seminole HardRock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida you can call 1 800 937-0010 or access www.seminolehardrockhollywood.com. More information at www.wboboxing.com.
Johnny Tapia – Autopsy Scheduled in Boxer’s Death; WBO Expresses Condolences
by TMZ Staff – Authorities will perform an autopsy on Johnny Tapia today — two days after the former boxing champ was mysteriously found dead in his home … TMZ has learned. Law enforcement sources tell us the New Mexico Medical Examiner’s office has scheduled the autopsy … which will include toxicology testing to determine an exact cause of death..
As we previously reported, the five time champ’s body was found by a family member on Sunday evening. Police have said there was nothing suspicious about the death.
Tapia was 45-years-old.
Global Boxing News Updates – 30th May 2012 For: Tavoris Cloud vs Jean Pascal, WBC middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Ricky Hatton & Steve Bunce on Primetime, IBO cruiserweight kingpin Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver, Martinez comments on Williams accident, Hatton predicts Pacquiao victory, Archie Solis Requires More Surgery
- Tavoris Cloud vs Jean Pascal – A light heavyweight world championship showdown-potentially the division’s best matchup in years between two young fighters in their prime-has been confirmed for Saturday, Aug. 11, at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada, when undefeated International Boxing Federation (IBF) light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-0, 19 KOs), of Tallahassee, Fla., defends his title against popular hometown favorite and former World Boxing Council (WBC) light heavyweight titleholder Jean Pascal (26-2-1, 16 KOs) on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING live on SHOWTIME.
- WBC middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has started his own boxing promotions company. It was announced yesterday in Junior’s hometown of Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico, that the first card of “Chávez Jr. Promotions” will take place June 8 in the city’s Parque Revolución Arena. Headlining will be a middleweight ten-rounder between Saul Roman and Alfredo Contreras. The event was announced by promoter Lorena Beltran representing Chavez, who is away training for his June 16 clash with Andy Lee. Beltran stated that this is a project that Junior had in mind for two and a half years.
- Ricky Hatton & Steve Bunce on Primetime – LONDON (29 May 2012) – British boxing legend Ricky Hatton will be on hand to share his thoughts during Primetime’s exclusive coverage of Manny Pacquiao vs. Timothy Bradley on Saturday June 9th, live on Primetime (Channel 480 on Sky and Virgin on Demand). Hatton will be joined in the studio alongside the ever entertaining Steve Bunce and fight game expert Ronald McIntosh. All three are sure to provide a unique and in-depth analysis ahead of what is set to be a great night of boxing from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
- IBO cruiserweight kingpin Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver (29-6, 20 KO’s) hosted a workout for the Southern California media at The Rock in Carson, California, on Tuesday as he winds down preparations for Saturday’s Showtime-televised grudge match against unbeaten Lateef Kayode (18-0, 14 KO’s) at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.
- Martinez comments on Williams accident - “Upon learning of Paul’s injuries, I was deeply saddened,” said Martinez, who twice shared the ring with Williams, with their first epic battle being named Fight of the Year for 2010. “When you are in the ring with a real champion, you know it, and Paul Williams was a very great champion, in every sense of the word. Paul and his family are in my thoughts and prayers through this very difficult time.”
- Hatton predicts Pacquiao victory - “Manny Pacquiao is the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world and he goes into this fight as the favourite but Timothy Bradley is a very slick and tidy boxer so this isn’t going to be an easy fight for him. Against Junior Witter we saw how well schooled Bradley was and how he was able to figure out his style so quickly so I think he will cause Pacquiao some problems,” said Hatton.
- Archie Solis Requires More Surgery - The return of Ulysses ‘Archie’ Solís (32-2-3, 21KOs), scheduled for June 23, is now off. The IBF junior flyweight champion has revealed that he will undergo further surgery for one of the fractures that he sustained in last October’s alleged confrontation with WBC 154-pound champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez. Solis was going to appear in the co-feature to Zanfer’s big show, which has a main event with Hernán ‘Tyson’ Márquez defending his World Boxing Association flyweight title against Arden Diale at the Cum of Hermosillo, Sonora.
SENI: Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd June 2012 at London’s ExCeL
Fight fans eager to check out some pugilism over the Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend should head down to SENI, the greatest combat sports show on the planet, where they can watch Matt Hainy take on Kreshnik Qato for the vacant English Middleweight title on Saturday 2nd June over 10 rounds. The showdown takes place at the ExCeL centre, which is the official Olympic venue for all the boxing events.
Qato, whose nickname is ‘The Eagle’ is based in Wembley and originally hails from Albania. He will be keen to clinch the St Georges belt and delight his huge fanbase, especially as Albania hasn’t qualified for the Euro’s this year. The former WBF Middleweight World Champion is managed by Spencer Fearonwhose boxing promotion company Hard Knocks will be hosting the professional boxing at SENI.
Fearon said: “The whole Hard Knocks team are really looking forward to the show, it’s great to be able to collaborate with one of the biggest and definitely the greatest combat sports show there is and it’s especially an honour to work with Joe Long. We’ll be brining some of the famous Hard Knocks energy that my fighters and I always bring – which was proven recently when my fighter Darren Hamilton took the British Light Welterweight title after stepping in to fightAshley Theopane with only five days notice! Hard Knocks for life!”
Hainy recently clinched the biggest fight of his career; beating Luke Robinson for the International Masters title. The 30 year old martial arts instructor from Derby has been sparring with Ryan Rhodes who takes on Sergey Rabchenko for a European title fight later in the month.
Hainy said: “My training was excellent for the Robinson fight and it’s been even better this time. My work rate will be better in this fight and I’m punching harder.”
There is also the highly anticipated comeback of former IBO Light Middleweight title holder, 40 year old Richard ‘the secret’ Williams who takes William Joppy who has held the WBA Middleweight title on three occasions!
Also on the card is Larry Ekundayo, the most exciting talent in British boxing at the moment who will be fighting in what is only his second professional contest. There’s action as 2010 Prizefighter winner Patrick Mendy takes on Geroge Jupp in a Super Middleweight bout. Plus fights from Danny Davis, Alredo Meli and Frankie Monkhouse!
There is also a London ABA event! All of this action takes place within Boxfair, the UK’s only consumer boxing expo that takes place within the SENI show.
SENI offers more boxing for your buck that any other combat sports show on the planet! Punters seeking toe-to-toe action can normally expect to pay anything upwards of £45 for a ticket to a professional boxing match; however visitors purchasing a SENI ticket for only £20 will have access to all parts of the show including the explosive Hard Knocks boxing promotion within Boxfair.
If you needed any more incentive to come along then remember that the SENI 2008 event was the first time David Haye got into Wladimir Klitschko’s face and they had the first of many face-offs. Both David Haye and Derek Chisora normally attend SENI, so could we have another face-off on our hands?
Plus fans can meet many of their past boxing heroes including former Commonwealth, British and World Featherweight champion Colin McMillan who will launch the updated version of his autobiography, Fight the Power at the show.
Herol ‘Bomber’ Graham the former British, Commonwealth and European Middleweight champion boxer will host a skipping exhibition at SENI and talk about his upcoming world record skipping attempt.
Plus there will be appearances from twice World Heavyweight Champion Tim Witherspoon, boxing promoter Frank Maloney and Jane Couch MBE who was the very ever officially licensed British female boxer.
RICHARD TOWERS will now face Frenchman Gregory Tony for the vacant EU heavyweight title at Manchester Velodrome on Saturday June 16.
The 6ft 9in Sheffield giant had been due to meet fellow unbeaten boxer Michael Wallisch on the same bill, but the German has pulled out.
Tony, 33, has 17 wins with 14 coming by knockout and two defeats – both setbacks coming against top class opponents Robert Helenius and Mike Perez.
Hatton Promotions CEO said: “It is a disappointing that Wallisch is out, but Tony is a decent test.
“The fight will tell us exactly where Richard is at and if he wins he’ll be closing in on the new European champion Kubrat Pulev.
“Richard is making steady progress and inside 12 months will be ready for men like Pulev, Tyson Fury and David Price.”
The ‘Road To Glory’ bill also features a vacant WBA interim super-bantamweight title fight between Scott Quigg and Rendall Munroe. There is also a vacant European light-middleweight title fight between Ryan Rhodes and Sergey Rabchenko.
In a special attraction unbeaten British middleweight champion Martin Murray meets French title holder Karim Achour.
There will be a talent stacked undercard that will include former British and Commonwealth welterweight champion Craig Watson, unbeaten hopefuls Lucas Browne, Kallum De’Ath, Jazza Dickens, Adam Etches, Scott Jenkins and Adam Little.
Ticket prices are now on sale priced £125 (VIP Inner Ringside + exclusive cash bar), £100 Ringside, £55, £35 and £30. You can purchase tickets by calling Hatton Promotions hotline 01925 755 222/www.ticketmaster.co.uk/0844 847 2500/www.ticketline.co.uk/0844 888 4402/www.hmv.com
LITHUANIA – May 2012
PROMOTED by : Mr Egis KLIMAS
MUAY THAI FOR BB PREFIGHT : WKN EUROPEAN CHAMPION DANYLA DEIVIDAS ON THE TOP !
Deividas Danyla wins on points vs Jānis Freimanis
Mantas Rimdeika wins on points vs Julius Mocka
Ernestas Dapkus wins on points vs Grigorij Kopistinskij